This Tutorial Tuesday will focus on how to best use the new File Class Upload on Edcite! Before we get into the details, we are thankful to the many teachers who suggested this as a helpful feature. It is the feedback from teachers that helps us make Edcite an even better resource!
What is the File Class Upload for?
This is the third method of adding students to a class (the other two are the class code and manually adding each student). The File Upload is useful if your students might struggle with using the class code or if you want to have a lot of control over student usernames. It is also a timesaver if you are manually uploading students because you can do it all at once. In the future, it will also be a great way for Technology specialists to upload multiple classes at once.
How to create a File to upload a class:
- Use the template that we have provided and fill it in with student info
- Create your own CSV file using Powerschool (see linked PDF for steps)
- Create your own Excel spreadsheet using the headers shown below (in the same order), fill in student information. Make sure you save your excel spreadsheet as a CSV using the “Save As” option.
|F Name||L Name||Student email (optional)||Student UserID||Activation Password|
Tips for filling in student data:
|Student First Name||Student Last Name||Student Email (optional)||Student UserID||Activation Password|
|Use the same name as in your gradebook to save time.||Use the same name as in your gradebook to save time.||1. Elementary schoolers may not yet have emails.
2. If they do have email, it is a good way to notify them when you send an assignment. Use school emails when possible.
|1. This will be their permanent login
2. Tip: use a pattern for all usernames so that you can remind students if they forget (1st initial, last name, grad year)
|1. Make it simple, students can change it upon login
2. Use different passwords w/ older students to prevent sign-ins into wrong accounts
How to Upload your finished CSV file:
Step 1: From the teacher homepage choose the “Classes” tab and choose “My Students”
Step 2: Find the class that you want to add students to. Note: If you haven’t yet created a class, see this document on how to create a class.
You will know you have selected the class because its name will be highlighted in yellow (see below). Click on the button that says “Upload Students” (in red below).
Step 4: Check your student list to make sure it looks accurate. If it is accurate, click on “Add Students to Class” to finalize the upload of students!
Note: If some students come up in red (see red rows below), it means that their username is already in the system. You can still add them to your class by clicking on the “Add Students to Class” button. If you get a message that says “Student Email Already used by [username]” (see green row below) then it will not add the student to your class because they are already signed up with a different UserID. To fix this, just change the UserID for that student or get rid of the student email.
Step 5: Print a copy of the file for your records in case students forget their usernames.
I hope this Tutorial Tuesday was helpful and stay posted for another one on in two weeks!