Special thanks to Alison Mendralski (OH), Matt Zimmer (IL), Gabrielle Smith (OH), Jason Haap (OH), and Marita Scarlett (MA), Chip Davis (MA), and Sheri McAninch (OH) for reaching out to us about these PARCC question types and sharing your wonderful feedback with us!
Have you taken one of the PARCC practice tests yet? When you first go through the assessment, one thing you will quickly notice is that students will need a certain familiarity, even proficiency, with the technology used. In addition to a basic proficiency with technology, students will need to know how to navigate and use PARCC item types.
With Edcite, your students can gain this technological familiarity and, in fact, practice with the PARCC-specific question types themselves! Because of our growing PARCC community (thank you to our Ohio, Illinois, New Jersey, and Massachusetts teachers especially!), we have added 8 new PARCC question types to Edcite! Combine these question types with the creativity of your curriculum, and you can equip your students with rigorous, high-quality practice assignments!
Here are some of the things we are most excited about our PARCC questions!
1. Annotation Tools: Students can now annotate the text through the use of a highlighter, and can eliminate answer responses with a strikethrough tool! These accommodations are also present on the PARCC exam and will make it easier for students to make their thinking visible.
2. Multiple Passages: students can toggle from one passage to another within the same screen. This is great for compare and contrast questions! You can also have students switch from a passage to a video or audio file, especially since multimedia is of utmost importance with the PARCC exams.
3. Extended Select Text: with this question type, students can select multiple responses within a table. This is a neat way to create graphic organizers as well!
4. New Math Questions: We have 5 new math question types: fractions question, histogram question, number respond, PARCC multiple choice and pictograph question. These item types are great for asking students to answer questions in new, creative ways. And, on Edcite, even these rigorous questions can be auto-graded!).
5. New PARCC-aligned assignments! We already have some excellent assignments created by teachers in PARCC states. Check out these resources and make sure to share them with your colleagues!
Multiplication Quiz (Grade 3)
Function Practice (Grade 8)
Grade 11 Crucible Assignment
Middle School ELA
We hope you enjoy exploring these new PARCC question types, and we can’t wait to see the content you create with it! As always, if you have feedback for us on these tools or on any part of Edcite, please let us know!